Monday, July 14, 2008

OpenEXR


I'm very late jumping onto the bandwagon of OpenEXR, or the .EXR format for images. My recent conversion to a completely linear workflow has coaxed me into making the jump. I must say however, that I wish I had been using EXR ever since it came out to the public.

For those of you who don't know, EXR is a image format written at Industrial Light and Magic for storing scanned film images or renders. It is a very sophisticated format, allowing you many options for compression, bit depths, and the ability to store high dynamic range values.

I won't go into all the technical information, but just a couple of suggestions I learned.


1.When storing a render without film grain , compress using ZIP lossless compression.

2. When storing a scanned film frame, or digital video with noise, compress using PIZ lossless compression.


For more techinical details on EXR, see these two sites...

http://www.openexr.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openexr


The main reason for me posting this entry is this: USE EXR, IT ROCKS.

No comments: